The Lunenburg County Lifestyle Centre is seeking an Aquatic Lifeguard to become part of their aquatic facility team. The Aquatic Lifeguard will be a member of a team that will supervise and ensure the safety of facility patrons through prevention and timely response to injuries, incidents, and emergencies. The successful candidate will strive to deliver the highest quality aquatic experience to our members and guests in our fast-paced, growing environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform preventative lifeguard responsibilities in accordance with NLS training standards as well as LCLC policies and procedures and demonstrates effective lifeguarding techniques.
- Prevent injury and incidents by providing effective scanning and education. In an emergency, responds appropriately with communication / rescue response / first aid treatment / and activation of appropriate emergency services.
- Conduct water quality tests every three hours.
- Perform continuous risk management and communicate needs or concerns to appropriate personnel.
- Perform routine safety inspections of all aquatic equipment.
- Continuous monitoring of cleanliness and safety within the aquatic centre (including change rooms) and immediately address unclean or potentially hazardous conditions by acting in a proactive manner
- Carries out opening and closing procedures. Set up, clean up, and securely stores all equipment as determined by prearranged scheduling.
- Maintain a level of fitness and training necessary to fulfill the practical, knowledge, and judgmental components of lifeguarding and instructing.
- Complete other duties associated to the safe and effective operation of the Lunenburg County Lifestyle Centre as determined necessary by supervisory team members.
- Assist Aquatic Manager and Aquatic Supervisor where deemed needed.
Mandatory Qualifications: (to be maintained as a condition of employment)
- National Lifeguard Service Award (NLS) – Pool Option
- Standard First Aid
- CPR – C and/or HCP
- Water Safety Instructor (WSI)
- National Lifeguard Service Instructor (NLSI – Pool)
- Lifesaving Instructor
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work independently and as a contributing member of a team
- Demonstrate problem solving and judgement
- Ability to be flexible in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- Ability to establish and maintain respectful, cooperative, and professional working relationships with your team and community
- Experience working with various demographics
- While performing the functions of this job some tasks involve the ability to exert very moderate physical effort including some combinations of standing, standing at a height, sitting, sitting at a height, crouching, walking, climbing, swimming, performing work while wet and /or performing work while wet for extended periods of time.
- Emergency response and continuous in-service training can be physically demanding, which may involve some combination of running, climbing, and swimming. You will be responsible for lifting, carrying, towing, and pulling of heavy objects including distressed persons on land or in water.
- Lifeguards must maintain the ability to demonstrate “Must See” items set forth by the appropriate standard setting / certifying body to the satisfaction of the employer at all times during employment.
- Safe lifting, carrying, and rescue techniques (use of a rescue aid in the water and coordination of rescue with a second rescuer, when possible, are required by the employer).
- Safe use of all protective / barrier equipment.
- Exposure to a loud, warm, and busy environment.
To apply please submit a resume and cover letter to:
Lunenburg County Lifestyle Centre
135 North Park St
Bridgewater NS B4V 9B3
Or by email to