The Lunenburg County Lifestyle Centre is seeking an aquatic supervisor to oversee the daily operations of the aquatic facility. The Aquatic Supervisor will provide supervision and mentorship to the aquatic staff during their shifts, oversee regular checks of emergency equipment and pool chemistry, and coordinate private swim lesson scheduling and staff evaluations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure on-deck pool chemistry tests are carried out correctly and on time.
- Provide on deck supervision during swimming lessons, engage and answer requests from parents, provide support and mentorship to instructors (incumbent should be prepared to provide support to instructors from the water), and oversee and ensure smooth overall operation of swim lesson programs.
- Mentor aquatic staff and conduct staff evaluations at both the beginning and end of sessions.
- Coordinate private lesson requests, schedule instructors, and communicate with parents of students.
- Continuously monitor cleanliness and safety within the aquatic center (including change rooms) and immediately address unclean or potential safety risks to appropriate departments.
- Ensure that all aquatic procedures and policies are adhered to, and to a high standard.
- Complete all reports and documents appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Ensure substitute staff are found if scheduled staff are unable to come in for shift (i.e. illness) and communicate any absences to manager. The Aquatic Supervisor should be prepared to fill in, where necessary, if no substitute staff can be found.
- Must ensure that the standards set forth by the appropriate certifying body are upheld to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of ongoing training and professional development opportunities.
- Assist in new employee orientation and training.
- Perform other duties as determined by the aquatics manager.
- Perform swim instructor and lifeguard duties when required, to the standard of the appropriate certifying body.
Mandatory Qualifications: (To be maintained as a condition of employment)
- National Lifeguard Service Award (NLS) – Pool Option
- Water Safety Instructor (WSI)
- Lifesaving Instructor
- Standard First Aid
- CPR-C and/or HCP
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as an instructor / lifeguard
- AED Responder
- Lifesaving Instructor Trainer
- National Lifeguard Service Award Instructor (NLSI – Pool)
- Water Safety Instructor Trainer
- Lifesaving Society Aquatic Supervisory Training
- Pool Operator 1 (CPO)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work independently and as a contributing member of a team
- Demonstrate problem solving skills and judgement
- Ability to be flexible in a fast paced, environment
- Ability to establish and maintain respectful, cooperative, and professional working relationships with your team and community
- Experience working with various demographics
- While performing the functions of this job, some tasks involve the ability to exert very moderate physical effort including some combinations of standing, standing at a height, sitting, sitting at a height, crouching, walking, climbing, swimming, performing work while wet and /or performing work while wet for extended periods of time.
- Incumbent may be required for lifting, carrying, towing, and pulling of heavy objects including distressed persons on land or in water.
- Safe use of all protective / barrier equipment.
- Exposure to a loud, warm, and busy environment.
To apply please submit a resume and cover letter to:
Lunenburg County Lifestyle Centre
135 North Park St
Bridgewater NS B4V 9B3
Or by email to