TITLE: DAY CAMP ASSISTANT COORDINATOR
Lunenburg County Multi-Purpose Centre Corporation
Reports to: Aquatic Manager
The Lunenburg County Lifestyle Centre is seeking a Day Camp Leader – Assistant Coordinator to be a direct member of the front-line day camp team delivering program content and working directly with the campers. In addition to Camp Leader duties and responsibilities, the Assistant Coordinator provides management support to the Day Camp Coordinator when requested. The Assistant Coordinator provides a leadership role within the day camp team by leading and mentoring the Camp Leaders.
Dates: May 27th – August 23rd 2019
Application Deadline: April 18th 2019
Duties and Responsibilities
To deliver both individually and as part of the day camp team:
- Assist in the development of camp programming, including hiring and handling staffing, to help insure the quality and safety of programming.
- Interact effectively and facilitate communication between the day camp team and the Day Camp Coordinator.
- Role model appropriate leadership skills and behaviours to all campers.
- Can effectively lead a group of children in a day-camp setting, while ensuring the daily schedule is being followed.
- Be responsible for completing activities which includes, transitioning children to the next scheduled activity and cleaning up equipment, area, and materials.
- To be able to provide leadership and to work in a team setting, with co-workers and Camp Coordinator, while maintaining a consistent professional attitude and positive demeanor.
- Through demeanor and action, strives to make camp a positive experience for campers where they can learn, develop skills, and make new friends.
- Identifies and responds appropriately to behaviour problems.
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Minimum 2 years’ experience with children ages 7 to 18 in recreation programming or educational setting.
- Experience supervising staff in a camp environment or related discipline preferred.
- Experience teaching or working with children and youth in a recreational programming or school setting.
- High energy, self-initiator.
- Excellent people skills and a friendly, responsible, service-oriented attitude.
- Strong communication and teamwork abilities.
- Current criminal record and vulnerable sector check.
- Current child abuse register letter.
- Entering first year or returning university student.
- Candidates with an educational background ie. working towards B.Ed will be given preference.
- Experience working with individuals with special needs an asset.
- Candidates must be currently certified in First Aid/Level C CPR Certifications.
- Valid driver’s license an asset.
- Ability to swim and skate.
- Ability to speak French an asset.
- Any aquatic certifications an asset.
- Candidates should be prepared for physical labour of lifting, moving (chairs/tables etc.) and lots of walking (very active job).
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to:
Lunenburg County Lifestyle Centre
135 North Park St
Bridgewater NS B4V 9B3
Or by email to: