We are looking for an energetic individual to maintain our facility’s flower beds as well as keep the grounds functional and ascetically sound. The successful applicant will maintain the beauty of plants, outdoor grounds and general landscaping around the Lunenburg County Lifestyle Centre (LCLC).
To succeed in this role, you should have a general knowledge of perennial and annual plants, be physically fit and able to manage small machinery. The ideal candidate will be friendly, professional and possess in-dept knowledge of effective gardening.
- Maintain and grow the gardens at the LCLC, and a number of park gardens throughout the Municipality of the District of Lunenburg, to ensure they meet specific requirements and expectations.
- Perform basic maintenance such as cutting the grass, emptying bins, managing weed control and leaf raking.
- Plant and nurture new trees, flowers, and various plants.
- Work with hand tools and basic light machinery such as plant vehicles, and small diggers.
- Maintain a clean garden by clearing rubbish and litter from the garden and grounds.
- Provide guidance to management on matters related to the garden.
- Advise management on the costs of plants and garden necessities.
- Ensure a safe environment for staff and clients by adhering to safety and health regulations
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- At least 2 years' proven experience in a similar role.
- Ability to handle a range of horticultural machinery and powered hand tools.
- In-depth knowledge of plants and gardening techniques.
- Friendly personality with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Solid understanding of health and safety rules and legislation.
- This is a 17 week position from Monday, April 29th – Friday, August 23, 2019
- The normal workweek will average 30-35 hours per week.
- Hours of work will typically be Monday-Friday.
- Hourly wage will be $14/hour
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter prior to 4:30 pm, April 18, 2019 to:
Director of Recreation Service
Municipality of the District of Lunenburg
Lunenburg County Lifestyle Centre
135 North Park St, Bridgewater NS B4V 9B3